Experienced in Civil Litigation
The focus of Melanie’s practice is civil litigation. She has appeared before the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, State Court of Appeals, trial courts and administrative agencies.
Melanie began her career as a staff attorney for Southeastern Ohio Legal Services. While working there, she provided direct representation to clients in various areas of law including domestic relations, housing, public benefits, foreclosure defense and consumer protection. Melanie then worked as a staff attorney for the Ohio Department of Education’s Office of Professional Conduct. While there she investigated allegations of conduct unbecoming to the teaching profession and initiated disciplinary action against educators’ credentials. Melanie has significant litigation experience at the administrative, trial and appellate levels. Just prior to joining FHKAD in 2014 as an Associate, she worked as the Associate Director of Development for The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.
On the Personal Side
Aside from practicing law, Melanie is a spinning instructor and enjoys spending time with her husband and their dog, Walter, a miniature schnauzer they rescued. Melanie also volunteers with the Women’s Fund as a grant reader.
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Labor and Employment
- Civil Litigation
- School Law
- Capital University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude; Capital University Law Review, Associate Editor; International Law Program, Passau, Germany and Thessaloniki, Greece
- The Ohio State University, B.A. in English, summa cum laude; Study abroad: Cuernavaca, Mexico; Bath, England
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
Defense Verdict Following Trial
Williams v. Collins et al., Case No. 1:15-CV-337, US District Court, Southern District of Ohio, Western Division